Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Plain vs. Plane

I imagine many folks have trouble with this one.

Plain (n.) refers to a plot of land, a large, flat, almost treeless area.  For example, "The plains of Africa are becoming smaller, and the elephants roaming the savannas are becoming endangered.  In other words, plain is a land formation.  Plain also means clear (plain to see), simple (this is plain arithmetic).

Plane (n.) also means a flat, level area, but is more abstract.  For example, "Place the windows on the same plane"  and "The educational plane in the United States lags behind other developed countries."

2 comments:

  1. Like minded indeed. I find it hard to believe this one is difficult for people, but you never know :) Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Angie,
    Thanks so much for liking my entries. Believe it or not, as much as I pride myself on my vocabulary prowess, I am one of those who is confused about plain and plane. Oh, well. But I do speak French (LOL).

    In a slightly different direction from sheer vocabulary/syntax, I have received an email with some examples of egregious errors committed by our young folks. May I send it to you? Some of them could make your hair curl!

    ReplyDelete